Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A walk through Mindelo

Today (13/10/08) I walked down a road I hadn’t been down yet into a more residential area in search of soil. I am attempting to possibly make a compost box so that we can put some food such as fruit cores etc. since living in the city we don’t have a pig to give our unwanted food to, I figured it would be a good idea to try to come up with another creative way to throw out some scraps. No such luck with finding any soil but on my walk I started talking to an older man who I ended up walking all around town with. When I told him that I was in search for soil, he tried to make it his mission to find some (unfortunately apparently soil in the city is hard to come by but I might be able to find some in the country). I ended up meeting a good bit of his friends and walked into the fish market and saw lots of fresh fish including a giant tuna (it had to be like 4 or 5 ft long and apparently that wasn’t that large of a tuna). I still haven’t ventured into trying to cook any sort of meat, (after the home stay I am still avoiding fish, rice and beans for a little while), but I think one of these days I am going to venture to the market and try to make some fish. I haven’t seen too much fresh meat. I have seen frozen chicken but I’m not sure if I’m even feeling that adventurous yet and I have a very small freezer so I need to be strategic in what I buy that needs to be frozen.

No comments: